Addiction treatment is not a cookie-cutter process. It is different for everybody who experiences it. However, there are proven techniques and modalities for overcoming addiction and learning how to stay sober that are integrated into everyone’s journey. One of these techniques is called Holistic Therapy. While it might not be what you picture when going for treatment at a drug and alcohol treatment center, it is highly effective and a very important part of the recovery process. Keep reading to learn more about Holistic Therapy, types of Holistic Therapy, and how it works with treatment for substance abuse.
What is Holistic Therapy?
Holistic Therapy is a program designed to help treat addiction (and other conditions) alongside evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy. It allows the individual to learn new coping mechanisms, find new hobbies, keep stress levels low, and learn new skills for their new life in sobriety.
At The Pointe Malibu, we believe achieving long-lasting sobriety is done by applying evidence-based, abstinence-based, and holistic-based treatments that address your mind, body, and spirit. The more in tune you are with your body, the more quickly you will recognize triggers or negative emotions and be able to deal with them appropriately. This enables you to restore the whole person within you and achieve a more comprehensive recovery.
Types of Holistic Therapy
Some treatment centers do not offer Holistic Therapy. This makes it very important for you to choose a rehab center that offers Holistic Therapy to experience the full benefits of an individualized treatment program. Holistic Therapy offerings differ from treatment center to treatment center. However, some examples of Holistic Therapy include:
- Art therapy
- Nutritional coaching
- Surf therapy
Does Holistic Therapy Work?
When you imagine a stay at an inpatient drug and alcohol facility, you don’t quite imagine surfing and relaxing with a massage. However, it is essential to the recovery process to engage in these therapies alongside evidence-based therapies. There are many reasons for this, including:
- Stress. Becoming sober can be stressful: intimate counseling sessions, detox, feeling new emotions, difficult conversations with family, and much more. Being able to channel that stress into a healthy activity at your most vulnerable state will set you up with a lifetime of healthy coping skills instead of turning to drugs or alcohol as you have done in the past.
- Trust. It is difficult to trust others when you are in the throes of active drug and alcohol addiction. You have likely spent years lying, defending yourself, or creating volatile situations. Through Holistic Therapy, you will be able to learn how to open yourself up to trusting others.
- Partnership. Making new, sober friends is an integral part of recovery. Having others who relate to you is very important, and one of the ways you can do this is through Holistic Therapy. By engaging in a new hobby, you will be able to carry that into your new, sober life and make new friends and partnerships through it.
- Sober fun. We understand that it might seem impossible to imagine having fun without drugs or alcohol. Experiencing fun for the first time while sober at a treatment center with the support of your care team is essential and an important step in your recovery journey.
Holistic Therapy and Individualized Addiction Treatment Plans
Holistic Therapy is just one spoke of the addiction recovery wheel when you come to treatment at our luxury drug and alcohol rehab. Once you enroll, our Admissions Director and in-house physician meet with you and evaluate your situation. Our 5:1 staff-to-client ratio, with 5 to 8 individual sessions per week, amplifies our importance in personalizing your journey. As such, your individualized treatment plan includes many parts, such as:
- Clinical. There are many types of clinical therapy you will engage in, such as one-on-one therapy, group therapy, and family therapy.
- Family. Your family will be an essential part of your recovery process. Learning how to communicate, trust, and live with each other once treatment is over is vital for everyone’s well-being. Establishing boundaries for life after treatment and continuing therapy are all part of what will be established before your stay is complete.
- Personal Growth. By treating your underlying causes, co-occurring disorders, and engaging in positive Holistic Therapy, your personal growth will help you in giving you the confidence to overcome your issues with addiction.
About The Pointe Malibu Recovery Center
Learning to cope with negative thoughts, feelings, and emotions healthily is an extremely important part of addiction recovery. This is done in many ways, one of which is Holistic Therapy. And, a little fun while at a luxury treatment center is a great way to kick off recovery.
The Pointe Malibu Recovery Centers’ highly trained and experienced physicians, nursing staff, and clinicians guide our clients through the medical detox and stabilization process, all the way through to the end of your treatment stay. We work closely to design the perfect individualized treatment plan just for you and your unique needs. Staying active and busy and keeping stress levels low are critical parts of recovery and can be achieved through a healthy Holistic Therapy program.
If you’re ready to start your journey to long-lasting recovery and to learn more about what The Pointe Malibu can offer for you, we are here for you.