A history of complex trauma is one of the most common underlying issues shared by clients seeking treatment for substance alcohol abuse, drug addiction, and mental health issues. The way you often experience the results of complex trauma is through the dysregulation of your emotions and impulses. We know that the ability to manage emotions adaptively or to self-regulate is one of the most fundamental factors for healthy development.
Most trauma victims also have little or no capacity for trusting others, and even familiar environments or situations can provoke disproportionate levels of fear and anxiety or depression. These symptoms can make participation in even the most basic life functions difficult or even impossible. Though trauma on its own can lead to serious mental illnesses, when you use drugs or alcohol as coping mechanisms, your situation can deteriorate even more precipitously. Two of the principal challenges when treating trauma effects are to provide an environment where you feel safe and to establish a level of trust so you can share your feelings about your traumatic experiences and the actions you have taken as a response to them. Trust can only be established if you feel safe and realize that you have choices, and that collaboration with your treatment team can empower you to make positive changes in your life.
To accomplish those goals and to help you deal with your traumatic experiences, The Pointe Malibu Recovery Center utilizes both:
- Trauma-Informed Care – the awareness of and inclusion of trauma in every aspect of treatment
- Trauma Specific Treatment – inclusion of treatment elements in your
customized treatment plan to specifically address your history of
To further enhance your trauma treatment plan, we offer:
- Gender-Specific Treatment Teams – Your treatment team might be comprised exclusively of women, or men, depending on your trauma history. This can be especially valuable for female clients who may have lost or never developed the ability to trust members of the opposite sex or, in some cases, members of the same sex.
- Seeking Safety Protocols Group is an evidence-based treatment for substance abuse and its underlying related traumas. The primary focus is ensuring your safety.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – The
particular focus on skill-building and distress tolerance
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a psychotherapy treatment that was originally designed to alleviate the distress associated with traumatic memories. The Pointe Malibu has three therapists who are certified in the application of EMDR.
- Private bedrooms and bathrooms can also help to reduce the stress and fear that trauma survivors such as you may experience in a new environment.
Ample evidence has shown that childhood trauma compromises neural structure and function, rendering an individual susceptible to later cognitive deficits and psychiatric illnesses, including major depression, bipolar disorder, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and substance abuse. Particularly, the link between trauma exposure and substance abuse has been well-established.
National Institutes of Health
Trauma Treatment Team
Our Clinical Director oversees the development of your treatment plan and ongoing care, supported by an expertly skilled, comprehensive Trauma Team. Every component of care is accounted for so that you can focus completely on your recovery. Your team includes:
- Trauma Therapist
- Case Manager
- Family Therapist
- Primary Therapist
- EMDR Therapist
Individualized Trauma Treatment Plans
At The Pointe Malibu Recovery Center, we recognize your individuality and the fact that your experiences, including your pattern of substance abuse, your process addictions, mental health challenges, and treatment history are unique to you. So we factor all of the underlying issues of your condition into our diagnoses to produce successful treatment results. This requires an individually tailored treatment plan that maximizes your ability to achieve your recovery goals.
Our psychodynamic approach to care is the foundation for our treatment. Psychodynamic therapy focuses on deep issues, including the unconscious or relational issues that lie at the root of your suffering. This is a collaborative form of treatment that requires much work and insight from you but can generate excellent results, especially as your treatment becomes more advanced.
Though group therapy sessions play a vital role within our Concierge Program, we believe that individual therapy deserves greater emphasis, given the underlying trauma you may have experienced prior to treatment. These individual sessions are conducted in private, intimate settings that typically make it easier for you to share your thoughts and/or fears with your therapist. As a Concierge client, you will see your individual therapists (primary, family, or specialty therapists) and their case managers numerous times throughout each week. We maintain licensed therapists at our facility daily, to address any issues that could arise with you. Our flexible scheduling allows you to work out at a private health club any day of the week, enjoy outdoor therapy sessions on the beach, shop at nearby stores, and tend to your personal grooming needs.
Trauma Treatment Services Available
Our evidence-based treatment modalities include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family Therapy
- Neurofeedback Therapy
- Experiential Components
- Surf / Water Therapies
- Art & Music Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Medical Evaluation & Assessment
- Medical Intervention & Continuing Care
- Pain Recovery Management
- Medical Detox
- Medication-Assisted Treatment
- Nutritional Assessment
- Mental Health Diagnostic Assessments
- Alternative Holistic Treatment
- Treatment of Co-Occurring/Compulsive Disorders
- Trauma-Focused Treatment
- Individual Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Experiential & Holistic Therapies
- Case Management
- Discharge / Continuing Care Planning & Services
- Early Recovery Transition and Lifestyle Planning & Services
You deserve to have a happy, fulfilling life, free from the traumatic stress that has played a role in your self-limiting actions. Whatever those traumas may be, and the serious repercussions they might cause, The Pointe Malibu can help you find peace and purpose going forward. We are dedicated to working individually and privately with you, to help open your eyes to the exciting possibilities ahead.